What you can expect from this article...
THE LIEBSTER AWARD – MY FIRST AWARD
I’m so honoured and excited to receive my first ever award for blogging and within 3 weeks of my blog going live! This has been such an exciting journey and whilst I’m without doubt severely sleep deprived, I am loving every second! So thank you, my loyal readers, for supporting me!
WHAT IS THE LIEBSTER AWARD?
The Liebster Award is a virtual award given by bloggers to other bloggers. You must have an award yourself to be able to nominate someone else and the idea is to celebrate new bloggers who show great potential. Only bloggers with less than 200 blog followers can be nominated. This award does not have a winner per se, it is more a means of recognising the hard work and achievements of talented travel writers. It’s also designed to help promote those bloggers and help spread the word and make their blogs known!
THANKS TO LAURA!
Thanks to Laura from www.the-crafty-cat.com who nominated me for this award – I can’t thank her enough. I feel so honoured to have been chosen for this award and so quickly after starting my blog! It’s so nice to feel recognised for what you do!
Laura is also a new blogger who had her blog nominated recently and rightfully so! Its well organised and easy to navigate and is extremely personable! You really feel like you get to know Laura from her writing and she is clearly very passionate about what she does! Laura’s blog The Crafty Cat focuses on home-made food, beauty and household goodies such as the super heathy sweet potato energy bites which look delicious and her homemade orange and cinnamon body lotion bars – I bet they smell delicious!
MY FAVORITE BLOG
One of the first blogs I read and still my favourite now, is IamAileen.com. Aileen is an inspirational woman who quit her corporate job in the Philipines to pursue her passion for travelling. She now works as a digital nomad make her living from the thing she loves most, travelling the world! Her website is colourful and engaging, her photos are fantastic and bright. She writes about a huge variety of topics including how-to guides, destination guides and also blogs about blogging itself. Her ‘how to start a blog from scratch‘ guide was so informative! I’m a complete technophobe but her brilliant article walked me through the process of setting up a blog and made it much easier! I am eternally grateful for this!
10 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME
- I once got slapped in the face by a wild eagle in Tanzania!
- I almost stood on a deadly snake in Australia whilst wearing flip-flops!
- I am a total chocaholic
- I was born in Berlin to British parents and its on my to-do list to go back to visit Berlin.
- My best bartering story is when I managed to buy 2 beautiful oil paintings by trading the shoes off my feet!
- I spent 2 years living and working in Australia and now I feel as though I have 2 homes.
- I also spent 3 months working in a hospital in Ghana. Keep your eyes peeled for a blog entry about this soon. sterilizing surgical equipment with a toothbrush and other stories…!
- I am a dance fanatic (ceroc, zouk, west coats swing, salsa, blues…) and regularly travel around the uk and beyond to participate in dance events and compete in competitions.
- I set myself the goal of 30 countries before I was 30 which I achieved so now it’s 40 before I’m 40 and I’m about to tick off 7 more very soon!
- My guilty pleasure is still watching ‘Neighbours’! And yes, I’ve done the Ramsey street tour!
QUESTIONS I RECEIVED FROM LAURA
Why do you blog?
I’ve always had a creative streak and felt I wasn’t really making the most of it. My job as a GP doctor is great and has given me so many opportunities (especially travel) but requires zilch in the way of creativity. I considered doing photography semi professionally but found it hard to fit into my lifestyle. I’ve always kept little blogs in the past for family and friends when I travel but after a few glasses of wine I started to think big this time and decided to do it properly. As with everything I do, I launched myself into it 100 miles an hour and am loving it!
How did you come up with the name for your blog?
Coming up with a name is the hardest part! I spent hours brainstorming ideas. But then I started thinking about what was unique about my blog. I decided to focus it on young professionals who like to travel like me (i.e the midrange travellers) so it made sense to include my job in the title! That is when I came up with The Globetrotter GP which I thought had a nice ring to it!
What is one food or drink you cannot live without?
Definitely chocolate. It was a sad day when I was living in Australia and realised they put something in cadburys to help stop it melting which completely changes the taste! But I was consoled a few months later when they introduced white chocolate with cookie pieces in! I’m now sad I can’t get this in the UK!
What is something you are afraid of?
Probably failure. I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I work extra hard to make things happen! I’m a great believer in making your own opportunities and I put 110% into everything I do but I’m very hard on myself if something doesn’t work out!
How long have you been a blogger?
Not long! My new blog went live only 3 weeks ago! Though I had my first low-key travel blog in 2008 when I was working in Ghana.
If you could meet any person dead or alive who would it be and why?
I’d choose to meet my Grandma. My Mum’s mother died well before I was born but everyone comments how alike we are in looks and nature. I love seeing old photos of her and it would be lovely to meet the person I apparently resemble so much!
Tell a memorable story of when you where a child.
I’ve always enjoyed writing but I hope my skills have come along a bit! I’m often reminded by my parents about a story I wrote aged 8. It was pages and pages long and I spent every break time typing it up painfully slowly whilst the other children played! I’m not sure it was the most stimulating of reads for my teacher but apparently I visited pretty much every country by hot air balloon and had a picnic in each!
What is your preferred social media platform and why?
I like facebook as I’m still trying to get my head around the others! Facebook seems the most interactive and I get a lot of blog views from facebook despite it’s my lowest number of followers!
What advice would you give someone thinking about starting a blog?
To do it and do it well you have to be passionate about both writing AND your chosen subject. It’s more time-consuming than you will realise and you need to have a constant presence on social media. It’s great fun but don’t underestimate how hard work it will be! Do it because you love it. Also, get involved with the blogging community. I’ve learnt so much from other bloggers and have found everyone really supportive and encouraging!
What is your favorite holiday and why?
Well this is a hard question for a travel writer! I’ve been to so many fabulous places! I think it’s a tie between my trip to the Whitsundays and Fraser Island in Australia with my two friends Rachel and Sarah and a trip to New Zealand where I travelled about in a campervan and indulged in a LOT of landscape photography!
THE OFFICIAL RULES OF THE LIEBSTER AWARD:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
- For the 2017 Liebster Award, I will be shaking things up! Write a 150-300 word post about your favorite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This is optional, but if you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about yourself.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here or simply include the link below to the official rules website.)
- Select 11 questions for the individuals/blogs you nominated.
- Inform the people/blogs that you selected of their nomination for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
You can read more about it here.
MY QUESTIONS TO THE NOMINEES
- Whats your favourite thing about blogging?
- Whats the hardest thing about blogging?
- What is your proudest moment?
- Do you have a favourite country you’ve travelled to?
- Whats one thing you would love to learn to do?
- Do you have any unusual hobbies?
- What advice would you give a new blogger?
- Whats the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?
- Would you ever live abroad and if so where and why?
- What are your blogging goals for the next 12 months?